Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The President's Executive Orders on Guns

I didn't watch the President's speech today. (I was in Court at the time) However, I did find the full text here. I thought this paragraph from the President was interesting:
Now, let me be absolutely clear: Like most Americans, I believe the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. I respect our strong tradition of gun ownership and the rights of hunters and sportsmen. There are millions of responsible, law-abiding gun owners in America who cherish their right to bear arms for hunting or sport or protection or collection.
I'm merely "collecting" the semi-automatic guns and high capacity magazines. Purely for historical and artistic purposes, of course.

In all seriousness, the list of Executive Orders was mostly enforcement of existing law and telling people to do their jobs. I don't really have any objections. However, that isn't to say that any of these Executive Orders will be effective at stopping gun violence.

1 comment:

  1. Agree, mostly fluff, and does not really restrict guns, other than to say that we should do better background checks. Really like the " Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence." That and, ironically, the one incentives for schools to hire school resource officers. Wonder how the NRA will still manage to say how that is a bad thing.

    Hopefully, though, people DO start to do their jobs better and the rules are clarified so that the mentally unstable do not get their hands on guns. To say this is a "Baby step" would be generous, but its at least a step.

    DMS

    ReplyDelete