Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Letting Boys be Boys

A good essay on raising boys.
Parenting used to be a push-pull between husband and wife, finding the right balance between protectiveness and the freedom to explore, learn, test limits and sometimes get injured in doing so. Somewhere in the last 30 years or so, this balance shifted radically to the feminine side.
He's not wrong. When I was growing up, I used to get on my bike and ride around the neighborhood, ride up to the local pharmacy and buy baseball cards, and generally ride around as far as my bike would take me. I went "adventuring" through swampy parts of Gills Creek, built tree-houses with saws, hammers, and nails, and generally did things that would horrify lots of parents these days as being too dangerous.

And I turned out pretty much okay. Go read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment