Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Report from the Carolina/LSU Game

Last weekend, I took my first trip to LSU. We drove the whole way because airline tickets were only slightly less expensive than hiring a private jet. Seriously, don’t even get me started on air-travel, but I digress. I had heard all sort of stories about how horrible LSU fans were. I had heard they threw AA batteries down on opposing fans from above, threw pee-filled water-ballons, and were generally rowdy, rude drunks. I wasn't really worried about a confrontation, but I was slightly apprehensive that I would face a bunch of rude folks who would spoil a great tailgate and game.

I tailgated over by the law school and walked all over campus. Everywhere I went, people were nice, polite, and after a "tiger bait" chant, which was not really in a mean spirit, I had great conversations with folks. LSU fans were generous with their food, were knowledgeable about the game, and were really polite. One student even gave me a koozie right off his beer because he wanted me to keep it as a souvenir. Off his own beer.

I walked all over the parade grounds, went to the student union, and over to The Chimes before heading to the stadium, so I got a good cross-section of the fans. Young, old, everyone. They couldn’t have been nicer. Now granted, I wasn’t out there talking a bunch of trash. Mostly, when I would ask advice on where to go, the LSU folks really wanted me to feel at home and have a great time. One little old lady (who was drinking a Bloody Mary the size of a small car) kept telling me “You’re in the Old South now, dear. You’re our guest.” It was certainly borne out. Everyone was great.

As for the game experience – the stadium was loud. Wow. I was sitting way up in the cheap seats and I had to scream to Mrs. Permanent Press (sitting right next to me) to discuss the plays. I cannot imagine how loud it must have been down lower where the sound would concentrate. That stadium came alive that night, and the energy went right to the LSU players.

I wish that we could have stopped LSU's first down running more, but we couldn't. That was the difference in the game (overall), and that's how it usually goes in the SEC. If you win the battle in the trenches, you win. That's what happened. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other team.

If any LSU fans make the trip to Columbia next time, I'll be sure to check back here and offer my thoughts on where to go and what to do. Heck, I may even give an LSU fan my ol' Gamecock Koozie. Maybe.

Thanks to all the great LSU fans for making my first trip to Tiger Stadium a great one.

The view from my seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment