Monday, January 26, 2015

Richland County Lawyer Arrested: Alleged Motive - To Get a Discount on Gym Membership


When I saw the headline that a Columbia-area lawyer had been arrested, my first thought was, "Damn. Probably another lawyer drinking and driving." To my shock, I clicked on the story and read that the guy was arrested for allegedly lying to get a discount on a gym membership.

Wait. What?

I can understand bad decision making. We've all done dumb things. I can understand getting a little carried away and doing something over the line, but I just don't understand petty little crimes of dishonesty. I mean, you go to law school, bust your butt, pass the bar exam, probably have a ton of student debt, and you (possibly) throw it all away for a discount on a gym membership?

Is honor so cheap?

I don't know what ODC will do with this guy, but I'm pretty sure the Supreme Court comes down harder on issues of character than they do on other issues - as they should. I hope that he doesn't lose his licence over this, but I'm afraid that's a possibility.

"The trite saying that honesty is the best policy has met with the just criticism that honesty is not policy. The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy."

                                                                                                     - Robert E. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment