Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Real Issue With Russia Isn't the Hacking

I apologize for not having a post yesterday. I really try to put at least something up every single day to keep the blog fresh and tidy. Yesterday, I was in a CLE all day and then had to get a bit of work done afterwards, and then get home to do the dad thing.

In any event, it seems like the news is mostly centered on Democrats going nuts about the Russians "hacking the election" which seems to be an imprecise way of putting it. Yes, the Russians hacked the people at the DNC and then released their private e-mails. Essentially, this revealed to everyone what we all had already guessed - that the DNC put their thumb on the scale to help Hillary win the primary.

But okay, whatever. I'm not in the Democratic party, so it's none of my business. And frankly, I don't have a big problem with the party choosing one candidate over the other. That's sort of the point of the party, right? The guys in the smoke-filled backrooms help pick the candidate that they think is best? But I digress...

Anyway, the e-mails simply revealed what we all pretty much assumed. None were really a big deal, and I don't think anything swayed anyone's vote. Do you know anyone who was going to vote for Hillary, but then changed their vote to Trump because of something they saw on Wikileaks from the DNC?

I mean, it's just silly. So in any event, I think this whole thing of the Russians "hacked the election" is simply a Democratic campaign to make Trump seem illegitimate, sort of like the birthers did with Obama, and how Gore did with the Florida recount.

It's all politics, which means it's entirely non-substantive. And stuff like this is why people hate politics.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Trump fan. I think he's a seriously flawed guy, but he's our guy at this point. We all need to come to grips with that. If you want to oppose him on something (and I'm sure I'll oppose him on many things) that's fine.

But I'm just not sure what the point is with going on about the Russians. It's something we knew then, and it hasn't changed. What's more concerning than what the Russians did, is how we are going to deal with them going forward. Are we going to give Putin leeway to do what he wants, or are we going to stand up for freedom in Eastern Europe and the Baltic States? Are we going to let Russia be the dominant foreign player in the middle-east?

That's where the rubber meets the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment