Monday, September 12, 2011

Obama Wants Congress to "Pass this Bill" (My Advice)

I've heard him say "Pass this Bill" about a hundred times. Ok, I get it. He's really excited about this new stimulus jobs bill. It looks like the strategy here is that Obama is betting that he can run against a "Do Nothing" Congress if they don't pass it. If they do, then the GOP takes some ownership of the economy.

I guess this is a better strategy than nothing, but it's not setting anyone on fire in support of it. If I were Boehner, I'd remind everyone that the Senate is where everything dies. There have been countless bills passed by the House that went nowhere in the Senate and died. I'd tell Obama that since his party controls the Senate, pass the bill (which I guess needs to be written first) and then we'll talk about passing it in the House. You know...when there's actually a written bill to discuss and debate.

The GOP line needs to be: Write down your bill on some paper, vote it through the Senate, and if it passes there, we'll look at what the proposal is and give you a vote. Rushing things through with no debate and thought isn't going to happen at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment