Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Why Your Teenager Can't Use a Hammer

There's lots of talk about "rebuilding America" these days, but this article doesn't leave me with much faith in our young workforce.

When I was growing up (heck, still today) I work with my dad taking things apart, fixing them, and putting them back together. When I was little, my part consisted of fetching tools, holding the light, and observing. From this, I can change my own oil, perform basic maintenance around the house, and figure out when a contractor is doing a bad job.

I don't know if technology plays the role that the author makes it out to be, but there's definitely something wrong if you're holding the hammer up at the top. I know I'll be sure to have my son holding the light when it's his turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment