Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wal-Mart Coming to Downtown Columbia?

If you want to be heard, there is a public forum on December 19, 2011 at 6:00PM at 701 Whaley. I don't live over on that side of town, so I don't really have a dog in the fight. The only thing I would say is that I think putting a Wal-Mart there is better than not developing the area at all. It would be one thing if there was an alternative plan, but I haven't heard any alternatives. A good plan executed now is usually better than a perfect plan executed later.

On the practical side, a Wal-Mart would provide a convenient location for USC students in the area to get cheap stuff for their dorm rooms, and it would probably be the closest grocery store to them.

I understand that some people are against Wal-Mart because they fear it will put smaller retailers out of business, but I'm not really buying that argument in this case. I like being able to go to Wal-Mart to buy certain things very cheaply. Oh, and it will bring some jobs and tax revenue in to Columbia - that's not a horrible thing.

If Permanent Press had a vote (and it doesn't) it would vote to allow Wal-Mart to develop the property rather than let the dilapidated baseball stadium just sit there.

Anyone disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment