Sunday, June 24, 2012

New York City Before Air Conditioning

Before air-conditioning, in the South, buildings were designed to circulate air and maximize cooling effects. I don't think this took place to the same degree in the North, but Arthur Miller has a great article about life in NYC before air-conditioning.

People on West 110th Street, where I lived, were a little too bourgeois to sit out on their fire escapes, but around the corner on 111th and farther uptown mattresses were put out as night fell, and whole families lay on those iron balconies in their underwear.
Read the whole thing.

1 comment:

  1. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next..,.,.
    yaz lawsuit

    ReplyDelete