Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Guess the Gun

Haven't done this in awhile. Here's a classic gun. Can anyone guess the model?


Answer below the jump, along with an additional triva challenge about this rifle:

Answer: It's a M1903 Springfield.

Ok, here's the really interesting trivia question: The Springfield and its later variants shoot the .30-06 cartridge. The .30-06 (“thirty aught six”) is the U.S. .30 caliber cartridge of 1906. The 1903 was adopted in (wait for it) 1903. How is it that a rifle adopted in 1903 fires a round from 1906?

No Googling allowed.

6 comments:

  1. There's something in my brain about the .30-06 trying to get out. I'm sure I read the answer to this question in American Rifle. Didn't you lend me that book?

    Anyway, I'm Googling it now no matter what you say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did lend you that book. Any chance I can get it back? I've been looking for it and I had forgotten that I gave it to you.

      Delete
  2. I gave it to Alex, I think. At any rate I no longer have it. If he doesn't have it, I do have an Amazon account and I'm not afraid to use it. Someone in the family should have a copy. It's a great book -- loaded with facts, but reads like mystery you can't put down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. That was due to the first 1903 rifles being chambered in .30-03 or .30 Caliber cartridge, Model of 1903. Later, a lighter pointed bullet was used (220 grain RN vrs. 150 grain Spitzer) and accepted into service in 1906. Hence, ".30-06". Fun "03" trivia question - what country did we have to pay license fees to as they sued the US and won over the rifle's patent infringements?

    BTW, "Hatcher's Notebook" is very much worth the money if this sort of thing interests you.

    Cheers!

    Al

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In regards to the royalties, I would guess that it was a German company? I've heard people say that the 1903 was based off either the Krag or Mauser (or maybe both).

      I'll have to check out that book; thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. Mauser. The twin locking lugs were patented, IIRC. I have an "03A3", which is my favorite bolt gun with a Swiss K31 coming in a close second.

    ReplyDelete