Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Healthcare.gov's Enrollment Numbers

Less than 27,000.

27,000. Let that sink in for a moment.

I know the White House is pushing a higher figure, that figure includes people who "picked a plan" but didn't actually enroll (you know, pay for it). An AP reporter is saying the actual number of people is less than 27,000.

What I really want to know is the breakdown of the number. How many of these less than 27,000 people have pre-existing conditions? How many are low-income and need significant subsidies? How many of the really important "young healthy" people are in this group? Does this include the number of people enrolled in Medicaid through the site?


My little blog here has more pageviews (since October of 2011) than people who have signed up for Obamacare through healthcare.gov. Let's see how long I can keep that streak going.




This is some epic failing that we're witnessing here. I cannot wait for Jay Carney's next press conference.


4 comments:

  1. You know what? I'm starting to think that electing a guy with absolutely no executive experience to be President might not be a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan, we did it twice. That's going to leave a mark for sure. BTW, the VA (Veterans Affairs) sent me a nice letter letting me know I'm exempt from Obamacare. Going to be interesting seeing how that plays out with the company I work for, insurance wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was my understanding that even the 27,000 number included people who had put a plan in their cart but not necessarily paid for it. I'm betting half of those were media types just looking at the site for research purposes.

    The report I heard touting the 106,000 (including the state exchanges) said that over 400,000 had enrolled in Medicaid, so an additional half million people will have health insurance! Fantastic - where is the money coming from?

    Most of the young healthy people I know think the $95 penalty sounds like a pretty good deal, especially since you don't have to worry about pre-existing conditions - if something happens that you need insurance, sign up then. Unsustainable.

    The really sad thing for me is that there are a lot of issues with the health care system in this country, but is not fixing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The whole thing is unsustainable. The law is disintegrating like a newspaper in a downpour.

      Delete