Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Senate Expected to Vote Down a Minimum Wage Hike

The Senate is scheduled to take a test vote at noon Wednesday in whether to raise the minimum wage--and it's expected to fall short.

Sixty are needed to continue considering the measure. Democrats control 55 of the Senate's 100 votes, and virtually all are expected to back the increase to $10.10 from the current $7.25.

While some Republicans are seeking a compromise, others are balking. "Those who are being hurt the most in the Obama economy are the most vulnerable among us – young people, Hispanics, African-Americans and single moms,” said Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, during Tuesday's debate.
Being a classical liberal myself on such issues, I'd prefer that the minimum wage be $0. (If that makes your head explode, go read this.)

My guess is that this will be a main issue of the upcoming midterm elections. That, racism, and #WarOnWomen, I suppose. Excuse me while I go gouge my eyeballs out.


No comments:

Post a Comment