Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Thoughts on Will Muschamp from Auburn's Perspective

Muschamp wasn't my first choice, but this sounds like an endorsement to me.


Changing the culture requires more than some Oklahoma drills, however. It requires unwavering attention placed upon how you're devising next season's roster. Johnson and his staff emphasized aptitude and statistical markers on the field. They sought statistical legitimacy. Muschamp instead focused almost solely on two indices: Willingness to hit and competitive fervor. He can deal with a lack of size, a lack of speed, short arms, maybe even a little extra weight. He cannot deal with players who will not engage when it's time to engage. He feels like that cannot be taught.

I like the idea of a defense that hits hard, and I agree that you can't coach competitive fervor. Maybe we'll see a tough defense here at Carolina under the Muschamp regime. I'd be okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment