Wednesday, November 16, 2011

C-SPAN Requests Televised Obamacare Oral Arguments

The head of CSPAN sent a letter to C.J. Roberts asking for the Court to break with long-standing tradition and allow cameras in for the oral arguments which are scheduled for five and a half hours.

I can see the arguments on both sides of this issue. On one hand, it's an important case that will affect every single person in America in addition to having large political implications. On the other hand, it's impossible to bring cameras into a courtroom and not have soundbites put up that are not representative of the entire process. Both sides would be guilty of trying to "spin" the oral arguments, try to analyze each Justices' demeanor, body language, and so on. I think that would somewhat demean the process. Even if no cameras are allowed, SCOTUS always puts up an audio transcript of oral arguments a week or so afterwards.

If I were the Chief Justice, and I had to come down on this issue, I would continue with the tradition of not allowing cameras in. What say you? On an interesting note, I saw a documentary on the Supreme Court a few months ago, and I was amazed at how close the Justices are to the lawyers when they argue.

[HT Insty]

No comments:

Post a Comment