Thursday, November 17, 2011

Do You Need to "Tame" Your Southern Accent?


I guess there are some Southerners who are taunted by non-Southerners, and that makes them want to try and eliminate what they perceive to be a flaw. I guess I'm just more self-confident (or maybe I don't venture out of Columbia much) but I wouldn't try to change my accent for anything. Being Southern means that we are warm, welcoming, and our accents reflect that.

If your Yankee boss doesn't like it, then you can impress him with your actual skill and knowledge. Also, if you're a Southerner in an office full of non-Southerners, they're probably jealous that your accent makes you unique.

Don't let the bastards get you down.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. Good. Grief.

    You may not realize it, but I am not possessed of a "southern" accent naturally. I was born and raised in Colorado and am sometimes surprised when people ask me where I'm from since I have tried my best to sound like I'm from 'my part' of the South.

    'My part' of the South is the Ark-La-Tex. We don't sound anything like someone from generations raised in the southern parts of Alabama. They, in turn, don't sound anything like someone raised in northern Alabama.

    Just which Southern accent is this person trying to soften the edges of? (pardon my grammar, which is western-midwestern, not southern)

    When I was about 10 years old (an awkward age not matter one's accent) a business associate of my father's was dining with us. He was a nice guy and very "southern". He'd been informed that I'd been swimming that afternoon and was graciously trying to include me in the dinner table conversation.

    He asked, "wathawadahwahm?"

    Now this was not my first experience with not understanding "a" southern accent. I (regretfully now) never understood a thing my maternal grandfather said other than 'Amen'.

    But this was the first time I hadn't been able to fake it. I had no idea what he'd asked me and therefore was terrified.

    Now, his sort of 'Southern accent' should be rectified, IMHO.

    But, soften it? Oh my. How the dickens are you going to SOFTEN that any further? That particular southern accent needs to be hardened!

    He was asking me "was the water warm".

    ReplyDelete