Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Haley Says She Will Veto New Helmet Law

I understand where she's coming from. I really do. I hate people telling me what to do.

On the other hand, I also support seat-belt laws. Everyone, regardless of their age, is required to wear a seatbelt while riding in a car. We've all agreed, as a society, that we're going to do this. I just don't really see a distinction in making motorcycle riders wear helmets from making car riders wear seat-belts. Both are easy things that are proven to make people safer.

I understand the principle of not wanting the government to constantly be your nanny. For instance, the decision on how much salt to put in my food is my own - not Mayor Bloomberg's.

I guess you have to draw the line somewhere between no laws and too many. This is mine. If the legislature (speaking for the people of SC) votes to require motorcycle riders to wear a helmet, Nikki Haley should sign the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment