Thursday, July 12, 2012

Columbia Police Switching to FN Pistols

The City of Columbia Police Department will be switching their regular sidearm. The're dropping the.45 caliber Sig Sauer and picking up a 9mm FN.

First of all, I'm not going to get into the 9mm vs. .45 debate. They're both fine. With modern ammunition, both are highly lethal when shot accurately. With proper training, both can be shot accurately. So just stop.
“FN provides not only a superior weapon but a superior price and, I’m happy to say, a superior work force,” Benjamin said. “I am hoping this turns into a real opportunity for FN to break into other law enforcement markets in the United States.”
That's the real reason the deal was done, and I agree with Mayor Benjamin. FN has a production facility here in Richland County, and maybe they'll grow and expand. that only helps Columbia and South Carolina. Maybe another police department will see this and make a similar move.

Also, I think the Columbia Police Department is getting a good deal. I did some quick math and it seems like the City is getting each pistol, holster and belt for a little over $300.00. I applaud the Mayor and the City of Columbia on this move.

Full disclosure, I own an FN 9mm myself, and it's spectacular.

5 comments:

  1. Belts didn't change. Mag pouches did though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new weapon is a good one. I applaud FN and indeed think we should support local businesses. I T&Eed the weapon originally and it was OK. The weapons they delivered were better. The Sig. 45 was a good weapon and the ammo we used was the best one shot stop round on the planet. The new ammo is close and there is alot more of it. The FNS could potentially be a Glock killer if FN gets their business model right and makes in roads in the LE market. The new holsters they equipped us with are top notch. I was skeptical of the change as most salty road dogs are of any change. Not only did the Chief and Mayor make a good equipment change but also a good business decision. Both of which are almost unheard of in local law enforcement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that the troops like the changes from the brass. If you don't mind, what are the particulars on the 9mm ammo that CPD uses now? I assume that it's a JHP round, but I'd be interested in the specs.

      Delete
  3. For Op Sec and officer safety reasons I won't post it online. Ask a flatfoot in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled on this page while searching for news stories on this .45 to 9mm switch. The level of full retard in the comments on some of the news stories is epic. The .45 guys REALLY have their ego tied up in caliber choices.

    Having run a firearms program for a 300 man department I totally get why Columbie switched to 9mms. My job has been carrying them for years, never had an issue with 9mm.

    Regards,

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete